Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Boobs on a Blog

What IS it about boobs??

I've gotten a thousand different explanations from a thousand different people and I am still completely baffled! What is this fascination we all have with boobs?? It's a fascination held by both men and women alike and it makes me shake my head in pure dumbfounded amazement. I found a website that lists 340 different nicknames given to the female breast - 340!!! There are some languages that don't have 340 words in their entire vocabulary! (FYI - Some of my favorites include Bassoons, Bazongas, Blingers, Caboodles, Carumbas, Cha-Chas, Doodads, Double-Whammys, Gazingas, Gazongas, Headlamps, Humdingers, Loblollies, Mushmelons, Oompas, Pointer-Sisters, and the ever famous Tatas)

I've been told that men are fascinated with them because they are thoroughly "visual" creatures(as well as the fact that "they don't have them"). I don't doubt the validity of this but it can't be the only reason. I've had the majority of men I know tell me that "more than a handful is too much", that "they would rather have small and real than large and fake", that "they are butt men", that "they are leg men", that "size definitely does not matter in regards to a woman's chest!" Contradiction? Oh ya! In addition, I have a best friend...I'll call her...Jamie - Now Jamie has been blessed (or cursed) with a natural abundance in that area (i.e. big ol' hooters)! She tells me that what men say about this subject is a total contradiction to the reactions she gets by men..all men...on a regular basis (and no, it does not matter what she is wearing). Nine out of ten men that she meets could not tell you the color of her eyes if given a million dollars to do so! And, as Jamie tells me, women often give her the same reactions.

I know, weird huh? Women supposedly focus on her "Pointer Sisters" (I really like that one) almost as much as men do (not in quite the same way of course). Obviously, this is not done because "women are visual creatures." And it can't be entirely because "they don't have them"! Tiny, average or enormous - all women do have them! So, where does their fascination stem from?

This of course leads me to why women make that decision to go fake! I know some of it has to do with societal notions of "what is sexy" but I know that can't be all of it! Millions of women have boob jobs and from what I've seem, most (well, maybe more like half) of them are confident, intelligent and independent women who do not live only to please others. So, if not society than why? Is it that boobs are the true symbol of femininity? And if so, does that mean that the bigger your cha chas, the more female you are? Or is it just that boobs are the true sexual symbol of femininity?

I realize of course that like "the true meaning of life," this is a question that will stump even the greatest of minds until the end of time. But, like the great philosophers of the past, I must at least ask!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got 'em and I'm still infatuated with them. I say the same thing about penises too; if I had one, I'd play with it all the time.

I think the fascination is that they are a symbol of femininity as well as life. That and they look good. Maybe it's a reaction of the testosterone in all of us??

Anonymous said...

I got me fake Tata's just to fit my clothes!! I was tired of never finding any dresses to EVER fit me! I also did not like the fact that you could not tell if I was female in the winter time with my sweaters on. :( Now it seems that I layer up almost always because of the stares I recieve. Funny, huh?

Christene (Kiki) said...

Wow.. I wish I knew what the fascination was, but I know I am sure glad to have them. It's true that girls are as fascainated by them as guys are. You had some cool thoughts on it though.